Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Educational Blogs- a reflection

I have found this assignment to be very worthwhile and eye opening.  In previous courses, I have been encouraged to incorporate many different technological activities into my classroom, but I have to say that before this project, I hadn't really thought much of creating my own blog project.  However, after doing a bit of research, I have found this to be such a valuable way for me to keep in contact with my students, as well as for my students to improve their own writing ability in the target language.  It adds an authentic element to the communication, so they feel like they are using their Spanish is a real world setting, not in some canned situation or environment.  I love watching them feel more and more comfortable communicating in the language, and believe that this back and forth exchange with their classmates will make them feel more at ease.  It will also help them get a deeper understanding of the cultural themes that are presented in class, and allow them to get the perspectives of others.  This is so important in preparation for the Advanced Placement exam.  Another important skill that the will need on the AP is the ability to defend their position on a given topic.  One section of the test requires a persuasive essay that is written based on a highlighted theme.  Blogging provides them with back and forth communication to help them practice presenting their opinions, identifying arguments, refuting them, and further supporting their own ideas.  I love the thought of lively class discussions happening outside of the classroom!  It takes the limits off of so much that we couldn't do in the past. 

I am also really intrigued with the idea of allowing my students to reach out and communicate with others from around the world.  Technology shrinks our world, and my students are eager to meet their peers who have different cultural and life experiences than their own.  My main concern here would be safety, so I would need to really create a plan to make sure that my students, their parents, and my administration were aware of the project and ways to assist the students in protecting themselves from cyber risks.  If these procedures are in place, though, I am very encouraged that everyone will be on board with the new incorporation of technology.  Well, except for possibly my students who will fear more homework!

I am including a few a links to blogs of other World Language teachers that I find to be very beneficial.  They include activities for the students, ideas for teachers, and ways to locate additional resources.  I do not know where they find all of the time to update these, but it is my goal to one day be able to share with fellow colleagues and students like this. 

The Creative Language Class
Oh my goodness- there is nothing better than this site of ideas for beginning level foreign language.  I am convinced that these teachers don't have time to sleep!  They are always updating with new tips, tricks, and instructional ideas. 

Teaching a World Language
This site isn't updated as regularly as others, but offers great ideas, especially for lower level students.

My Journey to Become a Better Spanish Teacher
Honest thoughts and ideas from a teacher working towards her Masters Degree as well.  She includes lots of activities for all aspects of language learning.

My journey as I wander through the world of languages
This blog is chock full of so much information from inside and outside of the classroom.  You could get lost in all of the activities.  I visit it often and never get tired of it!


1 comment:

  1. The Best CBD Capsules For Sale Online !! Earthsaxis LLC provides the best CBD capsules for pain also our softgel capsules are one of the most convenient and discreet ways to take CBD dose.

    ReplyDelete